6.07.2011

Duckie Soup for the Frazzled Soul 心靈鴨湯 #2 ~ The Prodigal Duck!

Duckie flew away this morning!! Too much practice flaps like this!

It is only 8 days since Quacker squeezed all 4 pounds of her little body into our lives....and I thought our daily routine has just begun to take a semi-predictable form...

Until today....

After starting my "Duckie Soup for the Soul" 鴨湯 online book.....2 days ago....she almost made me end my book (of just ONE chapter) today! This morning I was taking out the trash cans....and she followed me as quickly as her wobbly little duck feet could take her....And in a moment of panic, sensing she may not catch up to me....

Quacker shows off her flight feathers as she stretches her wings!

I heard a big helicopter-like flutter....and she propelled over my head (and I could sense cold air + quacking above me), glided past my college buddy Dzung's side wall, and landed  on his side yard/driveway!

This is Quacker duck happily escaping! (Photo courtesy of yahoo)

I ran over next door to be greeted by Quacker, who also ran towards me hastily! She was probably surprised that she could fly (but actually, after 8 days of wing yoga and practice flaps, I should have known she's on the brink of lift off)!

Duckie grooms herself proudly after her morning flight, unbeknownst to the fact that
I was already sharpening my scissors for the "GREAT CLIP"!

So off I go to my google search of "How to clip your duck's wing". Abbie woke up in time to  hear me retell the story of our flyaway pet. After observing Quacker carefully, she told me, "Quacker looks sad today.....maybe you scold her too harshly?" The she helped me video as I try to catch Quacker and clip her wings!





What did I learn today?

1) Cherish the Moment ~ you never know how long you have someone (feathered or not) with you!

2) Don't Procrastinate ~ sometimes it's too late when something so important needs to be done/taught now ~ like clipping wings (and trimming bad habits) before my baby grows up too fast and leaves home! Or simply....telling our family and friends just how much we love them (and forgive them....if tensions exist)!

Loved ones, our Heavenly Father loves us and wants to have a close relationship with us. If He speaks to your heart, seize the moment and don't ignore Him! My good friend who batled depression since teenage years....received Christ 9 months before she passed away, at the young age of 40. I am comforted knowing that she is with the Lord today. With our future in God's hands, we have hope knowing that we will be with our Lord, and we will reunite with our believing loved ones! Let us cherish each day, and each person in our lives, as our days and health on this earth are unpredictable and fleeting, until Christ returns!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did ask when she was flying... Lol. Thanks for sharing.


Now to be extraordinary, you can fly a small plane one day to show how Quacker where to winter, like a real duck mom. I remember reading stories about that!I wonder what duck eggs taste like!

(G)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sophie for sharing your duckie adventures. It's been fun to watch! (James W)

Anonymous said...

Wow Sophie! That is not ordinary duck, it looks like the wild Canadian ones! The blog is so exciting and so glad Abbie can help video you too! (mom)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Sophie, thanks for the update, My wife and I are going to be your first customer on those duck eggs. send them all my way.
love davy

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you Sophie - love your blog
Rita

Anonymous said...

Staci Albala Braddock Ouch.
Wednesday at 12:21pm · Like.


Sophie Tsai It's ok (^_^) Just like a haircut!


Chenchen Tsai you sure it doesn't hurt? Will it grow back?


Julie Chang Looks scary..... *_*

Anonymous said...

Funny! Thanks goodness she is not too far away! (Jo Gow)

Good thing she didn't fly to the other neighbor...with the Laborador Retriever! (Suzanne)