9.05.2011

After 15 years ~ We're back at UCSD ~ Where Hubby and I fell in, then out, then back in Love!


It was very exciting to have our church retreat at UCSD! I remember stepping into the same Muir parking lot as a clueless freshmen 19 years ago around this time! It's wonderful for the whole church (well, 250 of them!) sleeping in the same place and eating at the same cafeteria that hubby and I ate back in 1992!



Many things changed in UCSD. For one thing, the not-so-tasty "Top of the Quad" had changed its name (twice), now it's "The Pines" (or Stewart Commons). It's VERY delicious, like restaurant grade...not dorm food when we had to eat simply for survival.




There were many new buildings added to UCSD too, and pieces of art (that looks kind of funny), but helped bring in revenue for the school as they are the "Stuart Collection" (and you can become a member to support them)! We scavenger hunted with a few familes on Saturday afternoon to the 17 different points of interests, and it was fun to reflect on the good ol' days (scary days, academically...in hubby's words). (Secret: We dated 3.5 yrs, broke up for 2 weeks on my graduation week in June 1996, then got back together again!)




The kids enjoyed living in the apartment that likened my apt (I stayed at the dorm at Muir, and apt at Warren college). Abbie expressed interest in going to UCSD, 'while Caleb says he'll go to UCI (where did he get that idea?). The food is excellent, and if the kids come here, they won't come home to eat my cooking!



We had an inspiring time, and the message recharged and challenged me. God was telling me to not fear but just obey, and share what He has done in my life, esp. during my insomnia & postpartum depression days. I surrendered and told him I am willing, if He wants to use me. 2 hours later at the 'The Pines', Eugenia (the coordinator for Elderly Fellowship at our church) pops out of nowhere and asks if I can share about my encounter with the Lord during my postpartum days.

If you ask me, I'd say God works REALLY fast and in mysterious ways! For 1.5 years I've resisted sharing (public speaking, yikes!) to a crowd of people, because it's too disorienting (and no one talks back and forth with you). But I know that I love Jesus more than my 'face', so I'm preparing now and getting ready for next Thursday's sharing. Pray for me guys!


Soph and UCSD pals (Wendy, Julie, Mark) ate at our house a few days before the retreat! Ju's hubby George
 was my Cerritos high school friend! What a small world! We had a precious get together!

This retreat is one of the most powerful retreats I've gone to in a long time. I'm thankful for this opportunity to know my Heavenly Father and brothers and sisters in a new yet familiar setting! May the Lord continue to guide you all!

No comments: