1.25.2010

The day Soph lost her mind, and hubby found it...with God's help




This morning I was listening to KWAVE 107.9 FM and a song began to play......it is called, "You Are So Faithful".



I flashbacked to 6 years ago around this time, when I literally lost my mind, and hubby had to drive 2 hours to Malibu to find it (and me, and 2 year old Caleb). I felt the Lord prompting me, "Go ahead, sweet child, share your journey with others." And I said, "But Lord, do we really have to let everyone know about my past? I mean, now they'll all know I've gone insane. I think I was far beyond gone, as I recall." He said, "It'll be alright.....trust Me". When Caleb was 2 years old, I was a stay-at-home mom trying to adjust to the demands of a still-nursing, active, colicky little toddler who didn't sleep* much at nights.  * Note: The phrase "Sleep Like a Baby" should be outlawed because it is an oxymoron. Babies DON'T sleep, they doze off and shriek as soon as you tiptoe out of the room. Ask any new parent and they will share this secret....unless they are too tired and sleep-deprived to tell you thise truth! (^_^).


Trying to still keep up with pre-baby lifestyle, I continued to stay 'busy'. I also volunteered to help with the Jr. high group in our church, hence I started staying up late into the wee hours (2-3am) doing online newsletters while Caleb was asleep. And in the daytime, I'd do mass research. I wanted to stay in control, to not feel like I'm doing 'nothing' at home, so I increased instead of decreased my workload, not realizing that adjusting to life with a newborn can take a big toll on a new mom's sleep, self-esteem, physical and mental health.


In Febuary 2004, I started experiencing insomnia spurts, one of which lasted 4 nights. On the 5th day, I experienced my first psychotic episode and drove 3 hours north until I ended up near the shores of Malibu. I experienced hallucinations and heard voices the whole drive up the 5 freeway and drove until my tank was amost empty. My cell phone was out of battery and I didn't know where I was. Caleb was in the car and it was a miracle he didn't cry the whole time, and we hadn't gotten into a car accident (since voices told me drive thru walls)!


Malibu


I didn't know why but I checked into a deserted motel and called hubby from the front desk clerk's phone. Hubby was spooked when he got my call. In fact, he felt eerie when he came home from work that stormy evening. The garage door was open but no one was inside the darkened house. I told him I was at an Inn and gave him the address inscribed on the back of my door key. He went online and was surprised that this indeed is a 'real' hotel, and shocked that I was in Malibu alone with our 2 year old, apparently in a state of confusion.

Mission Hospital

He and his brother Joseph drove in one car to Malibu to find me, then he drove my car and me/Caleb back home. What followed were 2 more nights of insomnia, delusions, hallucinations, and confusion. By Sunday, he drove me to Mission Hospital's Emergency Room because I had not slept at all in 6 nights. On the way to the hospital, this song was playing in the car. He was startled when I started singing this song... he figured that since I was singing praise songs, I was probably not possessed by demons (though, 2 nights before he had prayed over me with Ephesians 6:10-18, just in case I was!). It was a blessing to have my in-laws, mom, siblings and loved ones in church praying for hubby and me and helping us during those uncertain and scary days !


I ended up getting sent by "Lynch" mobile (yes, strapped down) to the most runned down hospital in the area, since other (more humane) hospitals needed authorization/referral. This 'next-step-above-poverty-level' hospital was the only option without needing a doctor's authorization, hence it was the one I ended up in. (I still tease hubby that I will get back at him for not putting me in any of the luxurious private oceanview hospital rooms along Newport coast or Laguna beach)! Only College hospital was available on that fateful weekend (and yes, I am thankful for their care, even if the place looked like a little prison and they spoke to us like parole officers). I stayed for many days and during that time, the psychiatrist shook his head often and misdiagnosed me as schizophrenic 沒救啦! 精神分裂症?! Hence, he told hubby I may be here a long, long.....long........ time.

(End of Part 1 : Take A Tea Break?)


I had difficulty recognizing hubby and was constantly in a state of confusion in the first days following my hospitalization. By day 5, hubby had given up all hope (and his own resources) and just gave me to the Lord. He had considered selling our home and quitting his job to stay home to care for me (well, if I ever did come home). But his brother urged him to keep his job or we won't have health insurance. Caleb wasn't weaned during the week of my hospital stay, and would wail uncontrollably at nights. Hubby joined him and the new father and boy wallowed in the depths of sadness and despair.



Miraculously, on day 6 (Friday), I woke up in the morning and remembered who I was, who hubby was, and that we had a 2 year old son! The doctor was thrilled when I answered all the routine questions correctly and told  ME to TELL hubby when he visited that night....that I can go home on Monday! Yeay! 能離開醫院啦!

When hubby came to visit me, I told him the good news but he looked dubiously at me and patted my back. I bet he thought I was being discoherent 胡說8道 and was probably confused again, so he ignored me! By Monday morning, hubby came running and told me that my doctor contacted him. He said the doctor sounded surprised and filled with disbelief that I had miraculously recovered and was clear-minded and chatty. Hubby could not believe that I had regained 'consciousness' (awareness?) precisely the morning after he had given up trying to research/solve my insanity on his own! On the way home, I proudly told hubby, "See? I told you the doctor let me go home!"



So on day 8, we went home. I know that it was God's miraculous works that I could be here, chatting with you online, about my special experience. God is good, and I have experienced first-hand His soverignty and protection! I was like the US Airways  airplane that survived the perilous flight, not because of my own strength, but because God's hands protected me and carried me down to safe waters!

___________________________________

In the past, I was a perfectionist. I studied hard, worked hard, and expected good results. Not only with work, but with people (family, spouse, kids, and especially ~ myself). I relied on my strengths, and I enjoy praises for the hard work I put in. Everything from studies to work to home care, I felt in control. I didn't know that the same rule does not apply to parenting, hence reality did not meet my expectations. In the past I worked hard not only at my job, at maintaining my home, but with my service to God as well. "Here, God, watch what I can do for you! This sounds like a good project, let me take it up for you Lord! See how much I love you and serve you with my talents!"


Ever since my hospitalization, I realized that *gasp*... I don't have to do ANYTHING to win God's favor or unconditional love. The months after my recovery, I began SSRI meds and still had insomnia on and off, and I literally could not do much but was merely 'surviving'.


But it was in the darkest nights that I reached out and experienced the love of my Heavenly Father. Psalms 103 sustained me in the sleepless nights (when I had a miscarriage and when I relapsed shortly after Abbie was born, but God helped me through those trials too!)  He didn't need me to do anything for him, because He is one who can easily enlist a donkey to speak for him or carry out his work through a Big Fish (just ask Jonah!).

All he wants is to have me sit beside him, share my heart with him, and enjoy Him, because He loves me and died for me! It dawned on me that everything I've done in the past was for ME, and my glory, so when I lived for myself, I "lost it" (John 12:25)! This journey could be the worst, yet the BEST thing that happened to me. I was liberated from all my self-imposed-have-to-dos, and just sat by Jesus feet (I was so weak I couldn't go anywhere anyways) and listened to Him share His love for me.


Ministry is no longer about 'doing' as it is 'being'... being close to my Heavenly Father, and glorifying Him any way He chooses, like sharing my tales from the dark side with you all. We all can glorify him in repetitive tasks (often unnoticed by anyone) like diaper changing, trash throwing, dinner cooking, and kiddie chauffering. So moms, even if our babies don't rise up and call us blessed, we know that we are doing it for our Lord, and we desire to hear "Well done, my good and faithful servant" from no one other than Christ himself.


I am slowly getting back on my feet. Now we all know there's GOT to be a God because how else would two adorable kids survive until now with a mom whose brain takes unscheduled and prolonged 
vacation days? God has taken over our family rudder and steered us toward safety.  Since then, I've begun to behold others with more compassion. I no longer feel awkward around those with "odd" 怪怪的 behaviors when I see them in the malls or Walmart, as I was once one of  them. I used to look at ''cruel' moms or guys on the news and jeer them when the lawyers use temporary insanity as 'excuses' for their behavior. Now I see them differently.


In many cases, clinical depression can be brought about by situational stressors (pressures from school/work; postartum stress/hormone shifts; loss of job/house/finances; loss of one's health or family members; loss of relationships through diseases/accidents/ divorce; prolonged suppressed anger; sleep deprivation/irregularity, etc.) or biological triggers (neurological/
chemical/hormonal imbalances), and these individuals are suffering, in pain, isolated, and need help. I know others' struggles, now that I'm officially one of the subjects my UCSD abnormal psychology textbook was describing!

Whatever the reason, God calls us to love one another, and to see others better than ourselves. Our marriage has also strengthened in the storms of my health crisis. Since walking the paths of those suffering from insomnia and depression, hubby and I  began to see and love with a compassion we didn't feel before. Sometimes thorns in the flesh do wonders!

Your footprintsand Jesus'!


 ______________________________________________

~ Post Scriptus ~

It is one thing for hubby and I to know about God, having been raised in a christian home (as pastor's kid and a kid of a single christian mom, respectively). But it is a whole new ballpark when your life (and family, marriage, health) depended solely on God. In our case, hubby and I were holding on to Him for dear life! There are things in life no one but God can help you with, like....sleep! 



God is good and forever faithful! He never leaves or forsakes us! People ask me if I'd be a stay home mom if I had to do it all over again. My answer? YES! And I'll even sacrifice some sanity in order to experience the hand of the Living God in my life! The day Soph comes to the end of herself, is the day Christ begins to reveal himself, his presence and power!


Twice today, God reminded me (thru the Bible and the radio): Come to me, my child (all ye who are burdened), and I will give you rest 來找我,我有重擔的孩子,我就使你得安息 ~ ~ .
Thank you all for your faithful prayers for me and our family! God bless you! Do not be afraid of trials, because when the night is darkest, the star (YOU) shine brightest!

p.s. Truth be told, being institutionalized is really not that bad. The worst thing about it is actually.... the food! But we all know not to expect too much from hospital food  (^_^).


23 comments:

Suzanne Harmon Issa said...

Sophie, God has not only blessed you with your recovery, but with a precious and wise heart. You are a role model to me, and I am so proud that you were brave enough to share your amazing story. May God bless you and your family always!
XOXO - Suzanne

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your sincere sharing. It is very inspiring and helpful and it must take lots of courage for you to write this.

Ingrid Kao

The Chous said...

Dear Sophie,

Thank GOD for giving you the courage to share your story. It is very inspiring. Reading through it, I once again experince GOD's love and mercy.
God bless you and your family.

Yi-Chun

Anonymous said...

what a touching!!! I almost cry when I read line by line..
very proud of you...
gal.. way to go. (J.T.)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your incredible journey !! I respect your courage to step out and share this experience with friends. Everyone of us all have something that we might feel uncomfortable to share. But you did it! God bless you! (H.H.)

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a story Sophie!! God holds us in his hands doesn't he!! He is so good. Thanks for sharing... maybe a book someday!!

Lots of love to you,
Joy

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sophie!! What a touching story! That took a lot of courage to share something so personal on your blog. What a neat testimony of how God protected you and brought you and Mark through that difficult time. I really enjoyed reading your testimony! Thanks so much for sharing it!!

Love,Renee

Anonymous said...

"Thank you for sharing your incredible journey with God. I am inspired and encouraged by you my dear sister. *hugs*"

S.Y.

Anonymous said...

dear sophie,

I had just finished reading your blog. I'm so touched by your honesty and sharing. Your testimony will help so many people that are also going through this experience that might feel alone and even"ashamed?" Your sharing will bring others to see God's love and healing on the people who are suffering from this emotional pains. You are so wonderful and brave to be sharing this with us. I really appreciate and love you for that. Is our God amazing and wonderful? we are blessed to be His beloved daughter isn't that so true? Thank you again for sharing.

By Grace, S.W.

Staci said...

Sophie, wow, thank you for sharing your amazing survival story. You have reminded me that even in my darkest moments life is worth living and above all God is good and will take care of us. You speak from a place of honesty and wisdom, and a fun dash of humor, and I feel so blessed that you shared your story with me.

Anonymous said...

Sophie...Praise the Lord. He uses all circumstances for His good. What a wonderful example you are to follow God's directions. You are a living example of how God can work in our lives if we only let Him. Sophie, thank you for sharing your story. God is awesome. Love you and your family very much.

Trudy (Mr. Claus :-) )

Anonymous said...

Dear Sophia ... Grandpa and I are so grateful for your opening up about your life. It indeed takes courage but also there is something good to get your life onto paper so that you have a greater perspective of how you have conquered the negatives in your life. It sort of ties some untied strings together.

Many thoughts were stirred in my heart when thinking about you. I have often wondered why I had just you of your family on my desk shelf all of these years. Every time I look at it I am reminded to pray for the lovely lady I remembered as an adorable little girl with two black pig tails falling down her back ... looking like a true China doll! I did not know the details of your problems but God knew and wanted us who listen to Him to recognize that you needed our prayers. At 86 I am constantly in awe of God's greatness.

Much love,
GRANDMA SUNNY

Sasha said...

Sophie!! Thank you for so courageously sharing God's beautiful story in your life, big sis :D (I read while eating microwaved mac & cheese with crackers and a banana instead of sipping a cup of tea, haha!)

I remember how available you were to me as I floundered through middle school, unsure about everything and filling your email inbox with anything I thought of!! Your encouragements really kept me going when I felt lost. God even allowed such a painful time in your life to brighten my stormy 7th-8th grade years... He truly is amazing!

Again thank you! You have blessed and touched a lot of us ^^

with much love,
Sasha

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sending this out. I read it today. Wow I was going crazy with Nathan and the lack of sleep. He would wake up every 15 minutes at night sometimes. Thankfully it never got as bad as your situation. So glad that you realized taking care of and raising a human being is a tough job and that you weren't " DOING NOTHING" at home. You are a wonderful mom and thanks for sharing your story.

April

Anonymous said...

Hi Sophie,

Thanks for sharing your story. It takes a lot of courage to do so. My friend was somewhat depressed when her newborn would not sleep for more than an hour each time and was always crying. It was driving her and her husband nuts. She felt that she was always being judged as a terrible mother (and a bad doctor) if the baby cried in the public. Luckily the baby stopped crying so much after some long enduring months! There is no need to be a perfectionist. I learned that at work, after how many jobs!! If people are not worried about getting into troubles with FDA, why should I stop sleeping to worry about it?
It's good that you have family and friends who continue to have faith in you and stand by you. I'm happy for you. Take care.

Jo

Anonymous said...

"Dear Sophie,
thanks so much for your incredible story. it touched my heart deeply."

AY shing

Anonymous said...

Hi Sophie,
Thanks for sharing your story. It is very encouraging to read about how God brought you through that tough time, and how faithful God is. You have always had a very positive attitude, every time I've been around you, .... before and after your experience. I remember finding out about the incident a few days after it started. Debbie and I were concerned but were clueless about how to help. We are so glad you are our sister and a Godly mother and wife. Praise God for His everpresent help.

brother Bruce

Anonymous said...

Hi Soph,

Thank you for sharing this intensely personal experience. How are you and your family doing now? We haven't had a chance to visit for a while. We are doing fine. The Lord is still gaining my heart. The Lord is using the environment to dispense himself into us. Amen!

I really enjoyed this verse this week.

Colossians 3:1

1 1If therefore you were 2araised together with Christ, seek the things which are 3above, where Christ is, sitting at the bright hand of God.

-- Ying

Anonymous said...

wow, thanks for sharing your hospital story sis!

I thank God for your courage to sit down and review the hard times of the past and the rewards of finding God's love. There is always life in our words when we are in touch with God's love for us.

I am so proud of you, I am so proud of my younger sister. You are strong in heart and Spirit. You abide in Abba's love.

bro,
Dan

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Sophie,

I really wanted to say- thank you so much for sharing your experience. You are always inspiration to me, Sophie. I have been wanting to write to you, my days have been just non-stop-going on...like many moms. I am very touched about your sharing and you know what- I was ( have been) in the kind of some struggles. I started to realized that it is OK to slow down and I am trying to be thankful for everything he gives me- us. I am so thankful for that I can have you to share many thoughts from our hearts.

Love,
Y.Y.

fjtsai said...

Dearest Sophie:

Thanks for the inspiration! Just when I was so frustrated and upset about some things that occurred to me these few days, I happened to read your story and heard the song "you are so faithful", I know immediately God is talking to me and telling me to set my mind onto something meaningful, to forget things that are frivolous, and to forgive people that unintentionally hurt you. Thanks for your courage of sharing your personal experience. I also went through a period of depression when I became a stay-home mom, but not to this intense degree. I relied on reading bible every night before going to sleep to calm myself down (still doing it now). As I get older, I realize it is very important to find and make peace with myself through God. I am learning to trust and depend on God in EVERYTHING. Let's encourage and pray for each other!

Love,
Mandy

Anonymous said...

Hi Sophie!

Just wanted to thank you for sharing your story with us. Such an encouragement of God's grace and care. We recently had a friend go through a VERY similar situation--she's doing better and taking it day by day but as I was reading your story I kept thinking of her and how your story would encourage her as well. Especially to know that she's not alone. Isn't God so amazing that He can use what are such hard things to teach us so much, minister to others and show us His love??! Thanks so much for being vulnerable and letting God use you.

Proud to have you as my sister. :)
love,
j.p.

Anonymous said...

Sophie, I am touched to see your story and you should give 百基拉團契 those amazing messages to those helpless young mommies. We love you and God loves you the most!

Inko