1.21.2010

What a stormy New Year! What Next?


Mallard ducks use the athletic fields as a pond while students at Sycamore
 Junior High (Anaheim) wait for classes to begin Thursday morning.


This is only 21 days after the beginning of the new year and decade...but so much has happened already! For one thing, we had a 7.1 earthquake last week in Haiti, which was the biggest in 200 years. It destroyed the capital of port-de-prince, and 100,000+ have lost their lives, 200,000 were injured and 2 million+ are left homeless.

Then on Tuesday (2 days ago), we had a historical storm-tornado-hail-storm marathon (weeklong storm)! I don't recall California every having tornadoes, and seeing it with my eyes and on the news still feels surreal!





I was home alone when it all happened. Hubby was safely at work in his sturdy business building. The kids are safe in their reinforced school and preschool (calvary chapel church) building. And me? I was hiding under my computer table covering my head (as directed by KCal 9 news anchor) as we braced for the tornado, which had a monstrous personality of its own.

The tornado came down from Fountain Valley/Long beach, made its way to Yorba Linda/Fullerton, then down to Laguna Hills/Mission Viejo, then went down to San Juan Capistrano and San Clemente.



I could not believe there were 3/4 inch ice falling on my back lawn! The windows and sliding glass door by the computer table sounded like they will break! I opened the back door and wind hit me like waves, and (the camera and) I got drenched trying to film this footage for hubby...(had to clean the lens during the taping).

I told hubby and he (like someone living on a different planet) kept saying, "It's just hype. It's really not that bad. It's just a little rain." Easy for someone insulated in a big safe building with heater! I said I will film what went through our home to prove that it's not all in my head. I'm really not exaggerating.

It was hilarious to see this optimistic resident in Long beach.... kayaking down his street! The streets were flooded! Now I know how traumatized the victimes of floods and tornados are....and I don't even live in New Orleans or Kansas! Hopefully the rst of the month/year will not be as dramatic!



Stay safe everyone. This is a week I will never forget! Better buy a kayak... just in case!

No comments: