1.20.2009

Barack Obama & Bed Time Stories ?



At first glance, it seems like the title "Barack Obama" and "Bedtime Stories" have nothing in common. The comparison will be explained as we enjoy today, Inauguration Day, means to us, or at least to me.

I remember the day I found out I was expecting! I walked with a skip because I have a new role in life, and I just know I'll do it perfectly! In the 9 months leading up to my 'new arrival', I remember reading everything I could get my hands on about motherhood. I vowed to be the best and most patient mom in the world and never make mistakes other parents made. Well, since I came home from the hospital, I realized how naive I had been & how difficult this "job" turned out to be.

Today is an exciting day. I believe that Barack also has the same optimism and excitement about the 'baby' who is awaiting him in the White House. The truth is, this is not going to be a stroller walk in the park. By this time tomorrow, our new president will have a messy "bundle of joy" crying "Change me! Change me!"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I pray wholeheartedly for him, for he is given the toughest job in the country. I experimented last night with his "Change Will Come" motto on Abbie. After 3+ years, instead of me reading her the bedtime stories (for the hundredth time!) and leading her bedtime prayers, asked her to do both for herself!



I was quite amazed that she actually tried it herself! She was so proud of her accomplishment too! She had gotten so used to me doing everything for her, so it's great to see her do things for herself too! I believe that it will take probably 3 years too, for Barack and all of us citizens, to relearn or develop healthy habits, like responsible spending, saving, and living-within-our-means financial management skills. But if little children can do it, so can we!

It may give him heartache & headache when he discovers that a president can't make many decisions, let alone keep all his campaign promises. He is merely human. It takes everyone ~ President, Congress, people, you, and me ~ to make things happen! Most importantly, it takes God's mercy for this country to stay afloat. This morning I heard a Bible verse on KWave that highlights this Historical Inauguration Day:


"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain." So unless the Lord saves our country, the president stimulates the economy in vain!

Happy 2009 Year of the Ox, and may the Lord give you strength to endure and shine in this constantly changing time!

No comments: