6.17.2009

Father's Day and Graduation!


Sometimes life seems to be a series of monotonous to-dos and routines...but I look back and realize that this is what life is made of! We are now 24 hours away from the end of Caleb's 2nd grade 'career'!





When I watched the Pixar movie "UP" 4 days ago, I remember the 8- year-old chinese boy saying, "I know the things I do with my dad are boring, like eating ice cream sitting on the street curb counting cars, but these are the things I remember the MOST!"





Maybe doing these mundane things over and over again....is what solidifies a child's sense of security, zest for life, and experience in being loved and accepted! Tomorrow Caleb will be done with 2nd grade, just as I was in 1982. Over a yummy Baskin Robbins ice cream cone yesterday, I shared with him that in the summer of my 2nd grade career, on Father's Day, we (my mom and siblings and I) left Taiwan forever to live in the U.S.!

Life was never the same after we left Taiwan, but we didn't have to fear because God was with us the whole time! I look back at the past 27 years, and I cannot believe how fast time had gone by! From being a 2nd grader not knowing any English, to a mom of a 2nd grader (and a preschooler), God had led me to the land of California, and then to UCSD, then to my hubby, and now to Mommyhood! (Oops, now you know I am only an elementary school graduate....of a mere grade 2!)



Though I don't know my dad very well, having lived w/grandparents from 0-5 yrs, and with mom from 7 years onwards, I am thankful that He gave me my dad. He may not know Jesus yet, and be aloof in relationships, and perhaps shortchanged family for a pleasure-focused, work-only life, I know that God hand-picked him and that all things work together for good. I pray that dad will get to know the Lord soon, and experience true peace and unconditional love.
Whatever your relationship with your earthly father was like, remember that your Maker, your Heavenly Father, loves you and gave you the most abundant life (now and forever) by giving you His most precious Son. Each day is a blessing, because each day is a present from the Lord.

Happy Graduation, my dear children. You'll grow up to be a man and woman after God's heart, because we dedicated you to the Lord, and therefore, you're in good hands ~ His Hands!

Here's what a typical night (after dinner) is like for our family ~ for those who live faraway or are bored/curious. I guess I have too much time on my hands (or can't stop snooping in other people's lives....^_^) Every boring night makes up every year, which are special memories to reflect upon when the kids go to college....gulp....in 10 years!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you should have your reality show on some chinese channels.

George C.

Our Family Circus ^_^ said...

Hmm...sounds good! But then I'll get sued by child labor union (like the Octomom) for over-videotaping my kids, hehe!