9.26.2009

Caleb's Big Music-Making Day! Good luck, kid!



In 60 minutes, Caleb will be playing his 2 songs at Mission Viejo library for piano recital. I look back on the past grueling weeks and truly believe that it's easier for me to dissect a goat's eye than getting him to practice his 10 minutes a day.



Many moms tell me that nothing else destroys a mother-kid relationship quicker than supervising the little one's piano (or guitar, or homework) time. I've got a long way to go and much to learn, and in the meantime, I remind myself (and the kids) that in life, sometimes we may not feel like doing something, but if it's worth doing, keep going and don't give up!


After weeks of practice, he's supposedly got the songs down. But the goal is not to play these songs perfectly, but to truly enjoy making music from one's own hands and heart, and serve the Lord with the talents He gave us.

Post Scriptus ~ The recital went well, but we forgot to bring the camera and video camera! (^_*) Arughhhhh!

p.s. BTW, It's interesting that he came home from school two weeks ago and declared he wants to learn guitar. So we went to Guitar City on El Toro and bought him a new nylon stringed, Classical guitar. Normally I won't agree to it so quickly, but good thing guitars are not as expensive as other instruments, and if he enjoys it, he can play for Praise and Worship at church!


After school at Chaparral Elementary, they offer 1- hour guitar classes, so I can watch soaps while he learns something meaningful, what a great deal!



One downside to his learning guitar is that now I have to pick up my brand new (though 3-year-old), dust-collecting Yamaha Acoustic guitar in order to, once-again, supervise and help the kid with his difficult and tricky finger positions....so that's what I'm working on lately, besides watching chinese soaps, shopping, snacking and vegging out on the sofa.





A guy friend from college replied to me on Facebook and says that I should let the kid learn guitar (I was hesitating at first)! He said he found out that girls dig guys who play guitar! If he'd known he'd learn sooner too! So gals, don't be fooled!

_______________________________________________

Post scriptus: Now it's 4 weeks after he started guitar class (10/14/09), and he's practicing what he's learned so far. Guess what? It's STILL the SAME song! (^_^) lol!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about Gal, Soph, none of girls I know is fooled by guy playing guitar. Please make sure Cal understand this before making more effort.

Jerry

Our Family Circus ^_^ said...

Aha, Jerry! I was certain that's how you won Inko's heart! (^_^) Right now Caleb's not into girlfriends yet...but maybe he'll practice guitar very hard when he's a teenager! Thanks for sharing your experience, buddy!

Tony said...

future children worship team is in the making.

Anonymous said...

Caleb is doing very well. After first 4 weeks, he can already play and sing a song. He shall play for his dad's leading worship soon.