11.01.2010

Precious Moments with Dad! Great Gathering!


Happy Autumn! Definately this is the season of tranquility, renewal, and ... surprises! Thank you for your persistent and consistent love, prayers, and listening ears! My family gathering 48 hrs. ago can be written in a small book maybe titled "Divorce is Not the End ~ And 28 Years is Not too Long for Renewal & Change!"


When we went to a Korean BBQ place in Rowland Heights (by the way, Ong Go Jib is REALLY good! ), and we showered dad & sibs with TLC, hugs, and pretty balloons tied to gifts. They were so happy! We had a really delicious dinner and headed off to dad's new place. Though the kids don't really know grandpa Alex too well, slowly they warmed up to him and took pictures with him too!


We got to his house and as we were touring the place, he took me aside and said that he's never shared some things w/me since our childhood years, and chatted w/me for about 30 minutes. It was amazing to see his change of attitude and softening up of his heart! He was really speaking like a dad! Not 'Dr. Tsao' or 'Authority figure', but a down-to-earth dad trying to reach out and connect!


He said he felt bad too when grandparents wanted my mom to give me to mom's big bro & his wife 'cuz my uncle was the oldest son in the big family tree but couldn't bear children. At the time it was culturally unacceptable (just like Jesus' days) that oldest son(s) didn't have kids, so when I was born, I was given to them as a child in hopes of bringing more kids into their family (chinese superstition). Good thing they did eventually have a son and I came back to my family in 1st grade. Hey, so my name should be "招弟" (bring forth little brother)!! Sounds like soap opera! (*_^)


He also sounded remorseful for being consumed in the past decades with work (um...I think a little more than that ) and didn't spend time with us much. He said that he's changed a lot in the past months, and I was very happy to hear this too! He shared that he wants to spend time, now that he is still able to move around, and has freedom to do so! I was joyful sensing such a monumental change & softening of speech/heart in a man who has been very aloof and had no desire to connect/communicate (for as far back as I can remember).


We had a yummy mango brulee cake named "Happy House" to celebrate dad and brother's new house. It was wonderful to sing to the tune of "Happy Birthday" and start a new chapter in our lives!



So prayer definately moves God's hand, and we pray the Holy Spirit continues to touch his heart that one day dad will accept Jesus as his Savior! For now, he thinks religion is an emotional crutch to lean on, and that one shouldn't get "too deep into it". But we will continue to pray that God's unconditional love, grace, and salvation befalls him! I'm thankful for all my loved ones for carrying my burdens, and without your prayers, this could not have happened! So God definately turned over a "new leaf" in our family this Autumn! Let's keep on living for Him and see His miracles unfold!

No comments: