10.28.2008

My Side Job ~


Ok, I've been MIA for the past few days...I got the flu shot, but still the flu/cold caught me. I started to lose my voice a few days ago and was horizonal by Sat, when hubby went hiking somewhere in Big Bear. But I did manage to keep the kids and myself alive until he returned later that night. This year the flu season pounced on us with full force, even though all of us got the flu shot. By yesterday, the kids and I talked like emphysema patients. Aye....oh, and today....I worked! For pay too!


This morning I got a call at 8am from Caleb's school administrator. I was called in to be a substitute student supervisor. That just means you're a 'playground teacher' and watch the kids play (and fight, and tattle-tale on each other). ^_^ This is not a great week to start your first day of new job, because the schedule is all messed up. There are teacher/parent conferences all week, no school Thurs/Fri, and no one knows what the bell schedule's supposed to be today. Everyone in the office ran around, confused but happy, and no one noticed my prompt arrival. ^_^ I reported at 10:30am sharp and proceeded to watch the kids eat lunch, clean up their litter, raise their hands with "peace-sign" signaling they're ready to play, and dismissed them. Then they played in the blazing 90 degree sun until the bell rang and another group of kids (different grade level) came out and I repeated the 'supervising' process all over again.

It's so interesting to learn on-the-job, as kids came up to me with different requests, like "please remove him from the tetherball court! He doesn't know how to play!", or tattle-taling on friends writing on bathroom floors. One child showed me her foot and then proceeded to ask me to tie her shoelaces. I didn't know playground supervisors did all these things! I opened up soy sauce packets for one child eating gourmet california rolls too! I had to break up a little fight between 4 boys and threaten them that they'll be 'timed-out' if they don't play gently. My 6 yr old later reminded me that 'time out' is for toddlers, I should've said, "You're gonna be Benched at the cafeteria!" if they were misbehaving. "That works better," he said. I even got my own 'whistle' to blow (since sharing would be unhygenic, said the office manager)! Next time I'll use it on Caleb and Abbie when they fight in the house! ^_^

Other than being a good listener on the playground, I had to treat a head banged by a tetherball and clean up a bruised knee (caused by the child stepping on himself with his other foot and falling down). I was wearing my Angels jersey and must have looked like a groundhog, standing on my toes looking to and fro. By 11:30am it was getting really, really hot, and I needed to go to the bathroom badly. But kids of different grade level kept coming, and leaving, and more came and went. By 12:30 noon, I was glad everyone made it back to their classroom safely, and I signed-out and brought Caleb to Swirlz frozen yogurt to reward ourselves for a job well done today. The parent-teacher conference went really well too! Yoohoo!

No comments: