3.08.2009

The Worst Job in the World

When Obama got elected, I thought he had the worst job in the U.S. How does one deal with so much problems and so many whiners? Well, last week I changed my mind and decided that my job is actually the hardest in the world. At least Obama is paid and is respected (in the beginning), right? I mean, how many dishes and pieces of garments can one wash continuously? And how much spills, throw-ups, dirt, runny noses, other bodily fluids can one wipe nonstop before she permanently enlists herself in the nunery?

This week getting my beloved child to play his piano was the most painful battle for both of us. They say the love of money is the root of all evil. I'd say piano-practicing is (one of the) biggest parent-child tension-creator ever invented. Homework-supervising comes next in the parent-torturing scale.
After two days on the battlefield, I couldn't stand it any longer, and decided to draft up a "To-Do for Caleb" for him to sign.

He wasn't happy about it but signed it anyways. So far the list worked surprisingly well since it gave him a better idea of what basic things he needs to do, and he can do whatever he likes with the free time left over.

I guess being 'unliked' goes with the parenting territory. We may never be liked, but we set healthy, firm boundaries for them for their well-being. It was hard to be unliked but it felt right to stick to boundaries, but he seemed relaxed knowing what's expected of him. I even got an unexpected (but good) surprise from him a few days later.


See? That's a picture of me, and my name too! I'm glad he forgot about our little quibble and made 'me' the very next day!

I guess kids and parents are all human. We just do the best to live with each other peacefully and thank goodness God helps us through the most disfunctional of days!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It took a lot to get them to practice, but I guess you just have to find what works better for him. I now only ask Matthew to practice on his own. I am only there when he needs help. I find that works better, instead of me standing next him pointing out all the mistakes he made.